BUILT BY GIRLS Make My Case Contest
BUILT BY GIRLS MAKE MY CASE CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. ELIGIBILITY: The BUILT BY GIRLS Make My Case Contest (the “Contest”) is open to female or non-binary legal residents of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico) who are 15-22 years of age at the time of entry. Employees of Oath Inc., Verizon, Speculative Product Design LLC (“Speck”), and their advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Contest, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Contest (collectively “Contest Entities”) and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are not eligible. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by Oath Inc., 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 ("Sponsor").
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in the Contest constitutes each entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. SUBMISSION PERIOD: The Contest Submission Period will begin at 9:00 am ET on April 1, 2019 and end at 11:59 pm ET on June 26, 2019 (the “Submission Period”). Submissions received prior to or after the Submission Period will not be accepted.
5. ENTRY: Entrants must go to https://www.builtbygirls.com/make-my-case and follow the instructions on the submission form to submit their design for a BUILT BY GIRLS-inspired phone case (the “Submission”). Artwork must be designed in 106mm x 179mm for iPhone Xs and saved with High Resolution (minimum 180 ppi - maximum 300 ppi). Design must be in the CMYK color model and saved as/shared as BOTH a TIFF file and PNG file. Design must be shared on its own and overlaid on the phone case template. Sponsor recommends using Illustrator or Photoshop for case design (consider Canva or Acrobat Pro if you do not have access to Illustrator or Photoshop). Go to https://www.builtbygirls.com/make-my-case for complete design/detailed entry instructions. Included on the submission form, entrants will be required to provide (1) a brief bio (no more than approximately 150 words), (2) a brief explanation of the design concept being submitted (no more than approximately 300 words), and (3) a brief explanation of what you’d use the $5,000 scholarship fund for (no more than approximately 300 words). Submission forms must be completed in English.
Submissions must be truthful and Sponsor reserves the right to verify information contained in the Submission. Limit three (3) Submissions per person. The use of any agencies or automated software to enter Submissions will void all Submissions submitted by that person.
All Submissions must be 100% your own original work and ideas, and must not infringe on or violate any intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, patents, trademarks, design rights, copyrights, database rights, trade secrets, moral rights, and other proprietary rights and all rights of an equivalent nature anywhere in the world.
6. LICENSE TO USE SUBMISSIONS: You hereby grant to the Contest Entities the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, edit, manufacture, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and advertise and promote, your Submissions in connection with the Contest and such other products or services as the Contest Entities may designate in any medium now known or hereafter devised, for commercial and/or any other purposes. Sponsor shall have the right to disqualify any Submissions that they deem to be obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, lewd, derogatory, inappropriate, or otherwise not in good taste, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Submissions must not contain any third party material (including but not limited to any company logos or trademarks, photographs, likenesses, film or video clips, or any other copyrighted or trademarked content) for which you have not been granted specific written permission for this use by the copyright or trademark rights holder. You grant to the Contest Entities and their designees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote your/your interviewee’s image, biographic information, and comments, biographic information, and comments in connection with the Contest and such other products or services as the Sponsor may designate in any medium now known or hereafter devised for editorial, commercial, promotional and/or any other purpose. In addition, the Sponsor shall have the right to reproduce and distribute your Submission for promotional purposes in broadcast, print and or other media as the Sponsor may determine in its sole discretion. You agree that the Sponsor owns all right, title, and interest in any compilation, collective work, or other derivative work created by the Sponsor using or incorporating your Submission. You hereby grant to the Sponsor the right to edit any of your Submission, in whole or in part. In addition, you hereby grant to the Sponsor and their designees the right to use any edited Submission, or parts of a Submission, without your approval and waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Submission prior to or following publication and any right to compensation for the Submission. All elements of your Submission must be your original work and must be owned by you, and you must have the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to all of the materials, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity. By entering your Submission, you agree that you have received permission from any person appearing in your Submission (or, if the person appearing in your Submission is considered a minor in their state of residence, you received permission from their parent or legal guardian) and can provide to Sponsor such permission in writing if requested. By entering your Submission, you also agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of your Submission or your participation in any phase of this Contest.
7. JUDGING: Your phone case design should show off your own unique style and personality. Also, think back to some of your favorite cases and draw inspiration from what you looked for as a customer. The Submissions will be judged by a panel of judges based equally on the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”):
Clear & Concise: A design story that is well-stated and visible in the final product.
On Theme: A design that will inspire our community to claim their power, use their voice, and take a seat at the table.
Original and creative: A fresh take on the theme that makes us do a double-take when we see it for the first time.
Simple yet powerful: A little can say a lot. Sometimes, the most iconic designs are the simplest. Don’t overdo it.
Phone case ready: A design that is thoughtfully created with the phone in mind (use the templates provided).
The Judges will select two (2) Grand Prize Winners. In the event of a tie, an additional judge will judge the tied Submissions based on the Judging Criteria in order to determine the winner. All Submissions shall be governed by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and Sponsor. Entrants agree that the Sponsor and judges have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions of Sponsor and judges are final and binding. Sponsor reserves the right, it its sole discretion, to select fewer than the stated number of Winners in the event an insufficient number of quality Submissions are received.
Each participant (and any minor participant’s parent or legal guardian) hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the participant and the Contest Entities is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the participant’s decision to provide any materials to Contest Entities for purposes of the Contest does not place the Contest Entities in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the participant’s Submission. Each participant understands and acknowledges that the Contest Entities have wide access to ideas, stories, designs, and other creative materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by their own employees. Each participant also acknowledges that many Submissions may be competitive with, similar or identical to the Submission and/or each other in theme, idea, format or other respects. Each participant (and any minor participant’s parent or legal guardian) acknowledges and agrees that such participant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of any Contest Entities’ use of any such similar or identical material. Each participant (and any minor participant’s parent or legal guardian) acknowledges and agrees that the Contest Entities do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to the Submission or any other materials submitted by participant. Finally, each participant (and any minor participant’s parent or legal guardian) acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by participant relating to or arising out of a Contest Entities’ actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Submission or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable participant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such participant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition or other exploitation of any of the Submissions, or any other production based on or allegedly based on the Submission, and participant’s rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
8. PRIZES: Two (2) Grand Prize Winners will each receive $5,000. Winning phone case designs will also be manufactured by Speck and sold by Verizon for a limited duration. Retail value of each Grand Prize is $5,000. The phone case manufacturing/sales portion of the prize has no cash value.
Prizes are not transferable and no substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or element of a prize) with another prize of equal value, if a prize is not available for any reason as determined by Sponsor in Sponsor's sole discretion. Winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize. Limit one (1) prize per person.
9. REQUIREMENTS OF THE POTENTIAL WINNERS: Except where prohibited, the potential winners (or, in the event the winner is under the age of majority in their state of residence, such minor’s parent or legal guardian) will be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (the “Affidavit/Release”) and an IRS W-9 form, by a deadline to be determined by Sponsor. If a potential winner (or such winner’s parent or legal guardian) fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Release, and any other documentation required by Sponsor within the required time period, or if the notification is returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner (the Submission with the next highest judged score). Acceptance of a prize constitutes consent to use winner’s name and likenesses for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
Potential winners may be subject to a background check (including, without limitation, civil and criminal court records and police reports) to be conducted by or on behalf of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify if the results of such background check or interview reveal that the potential winner is either not eligible to participate in the Contest or if the Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that participation of potential winner might reflect negatively on Sponsor or any of its related or affiliated companies, employees, or affiliates, or if the Submission contains false, deceptive or incomplete information. Failure to agree to a background check with result in disqualification. Potential winner may also be disqualified for: (a) failing to provide the required information in a timely manner; (b) a violation of any of these Official Rules (including failure to satisfy any eligibility requirements); or (c) any other reason affecting the fairness or propriety of this Contest as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes from among the eligible Submissions received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of a Submission, Submission will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail from which the Submission is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
11. RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities, their officers, directors, employees, and agents (the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize; (g) other errors or problems of any kind whether mechanical, human, technical, network, electronic; or errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, (h) the processing or judging of applications, presentations, or (i) the awarding or announcement of the winners or finalists or in any other Contest-related materials. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. Entrant further agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all third party claims or causes of action arising out of or in any way related to entrant's product and the Released Parties’ use thereof as authorized herein, including, without limitation, any claims of infringement of intellectual property rights.
13. DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW: Entrants waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of California. THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, Entrants irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of Santa Clara in the State of California. Entrants agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
14. CONTEST RESULTS: To request the names of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to BUILT BY GIRLS Make My Case Contest, c/o BUILT BY GIRLS, 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003. Requests must be received by June 30, 2019.
© Copyright 2019 Verizon Media. All rights reserved. Entrants are hereby authorized to copy these official rules on the condition that it will be for the participant’s personal use and not for any commercial purpose whatsoever.